I woke up the next morning to a crashing of a vase. I jumped out of bed and grabbed the softball bat from my closet, heart racing. It was a little after six but the sun wasn't exactly rising just yet. I moved into the hall and looked up and down. David's door was still shut, maybe he didn't hear it. I started down the stairs, bat ready to swing. I came to the bottom of the stairs, seeing no one. Then I took a deep breath, turned sharply into the living room, bat ready, and saw two figures bending over on the floor. I flicked on the lights, Randy and David. Both of them looked at me so fast I thought their necks would break. "Shit Sarah, you scared to death." I looked at David with disbelief, "Seriously, its six a.m. and I'm awaken to broken glass and I scared you?" He looked at me for a second then smiled, "Well at least you were prepared" hinting at my bat. Randy smiled apologetically then finished picking up the glass. The living room was filled with cardboard boxes. Today was the day we were going to start packing up the house.
I made us eggs and toast as they finished cleaning up the floor. We all ate together before discussing where to begin. David had to leave around one to get Aunt Jess and Maddie from the airport. They would be staying with Aunt Susan and Uncle Bill for the funeral, which is tomorrow.
After breakfast, we started in the office, packing up books and old knick knacks. We never did say anything so David turned on the radio which did eventually turn into some singing. At about twelve we finished and took a lunch break. We decided Randy and I would start on the downstairs bathroom and living room while he drives to the airport.
As David drove away, I began going through the bathroom, tossing away old soap and what not. I could hear Randy singing from the living room, loudly. I decided to join in. Before I knew it, he was at the bathroom door and we both started singing to each other. As the song ended, we sang our final cord then broke out into laughter. The next song was slower and softer. I smiled then turned to finish cleaning out the cabinet. But he took my hand, "Come on, dance with me." Before I knew it, I was in his arms, looking up at those gray eyes. He smiled at me as we danced in circles. He then looked up with a dead serious face. I turned and saw a shadow in the window but as soon as I looked, it ran. Randy's grip on my tightened as he pulled me back into the bathroom, shutting me inside. "Wait here." Terrified, I locked the door and sat on the floor hearing the front door open.
I sat there, petrified, waiting to hear something. I turned off the light, hoping everything was okay. Who was that? Why were they looking inside our house? Why did Randy act that way? Then I heard the door shut. Silence. "Sarah? Where are you?" I think it was David. I couldn't be sure. Then I heard a second voice, "I told her to wait in the bathroom." Randy. It was David. I unlocked the door and flew in my big brother's arms. He held me close sat me on the couch. "Who was that? What's going on?" I then looked frightfully at Randy. He was panting and his head bleeding. He sat next to me and leaned back, hardly even able to breath. David took a deep breath, went into the kitchen and got him a washcloth. I noticed his hands were busted and blooded too.
"What is going on?" David kneeled at my feet, "That man has been watching the house since we arrived here. He's been watching you." I could feel my heart stop beating. "What? Watching me? Why?" Randy whispered, "He was trying to wait for you to be alone, he was going to kill you." I looked at him then back at David. Neither of them were looking at me. It was a long time before David said anything else. "That man was the driver. That man killed mom and dad."